Sunday, August 21, 2011

Tutorial: Hand Washing Silk


I’ve been so excited about my new silk, fantasizing about the perfect blouses and dresses I will make out of the three pieces. So excited, in fact, that I shocked myself when my mind turned to prepping the fabric for sewing and I realized I didn’t know how to clean it.


Of course, I turned to the trusty internets and found several recommendations. Here is the information I culled from those articles, in a pictorial step-by-step:


1. TEST IT! Use cold water ONLY.




2. THUMBS UP! Move on to the whole piece. Have a hanger ready for dripping dry!


DRAIN IT! RINSE IT!


TIPS: Only use a tiny bit of Woolite.


The silk dried wonderfully. I used a cool iron on it to get the wrinkles out. Now it's ready to become Sencha! We'll see if that happens soon. I'm simultaneously working on the Bombshell Dress for the Sew Retro online class (see button in side bar) and a version of my Palindrome Dress for BFF, S. Not to mention being repeatedly out of town for weddings! Minneapolis this Thursday...yikes!

No comments:

Post a Comment